Weirs at Cherry Hinton Hall

This is a picture of one of the distinctive weirs located at Cherry Hinton Hall. There are a total of four weirs situated along the water course, which is known as Hinton Brook. Hinton Brook, a gentle waterway, flows from the Spring Head located at the Robin Hood Junction on the High Street of Cherry Hinton. The construction of the weirs was initiated in the mid-1800s under the guidance of John Okes, who collaborated closely with both Cambridge University and the Town Water Works Company. They helped facilitate and manage the flow of water through the grounds of the newly constructed Cherry Hinton Hall. John Okes, a respected surgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital, established Cherry Hinton Hall, which was completed in the year 1835. His brother Richard Okes happened to be part of the Cambridge University and Town Water Works Company.

Previous
Previous

Hinton Brook c.1960

Next
Next

Spring Head / Giants Grave Cherry Hinton, 1890-1910